Latest forecasts from the National Weather Center and NOAA have indicated there is a greater than 50 percent chance of Tropical Storm Sandy hitting the mid-Atlantic Coast by the beginning of next week.
Some forecast models show that a storm front coming from the mid-west may also intersect with this tropical storm and make matters even worse.
How you can prepare
Since many of our clients own property at the Jersey Shore, we strongly suggest this weekend would be a perfect time to weather-proof your home in preparation for a potential severe storm. We suggest:
- Storing all outdoor furniture in a secure location (such as inside your home or garage)
- Clearing all debris and leaves from your roof (this will also help prevent deterioration over time)
- Removing all hazardous objects (such as poles, shovels, and bikes) from your yard as they can quickly become hazardous flying objects during a severe storm
- Anchor any objects in your yard that cannot be brought inside
- Unplugging any appliances and electronics you will not be using
- Trimming trees and shrubbery with weak branches that could fall on your house
While these suggestions may help lessen the chance that your home will be damaged in the event of a severe storm, they will not make your home hurricane-proof or guarantee your safety. It is important to follow weather and news reports so you know how much danger you’re facing, and to obey evacuation orders from local authorities. You should also have an emergency preparedness kit and plan prepared for you and your family. If you do not have one, you can download one for free on our website (no email address required for download) at www.hauswirthinsurance.com/research-center.
Do you have adequate home insurance coverage?
It is also important to periodically review your homeowners insurance policy with your agent to make sure you have enough coverage to rebuild your life after a hurricane. If you have made any upgrades or additions to your home and have not reported them to your agent or insurance company, your insurance may not cover you completely in the event of a loss. Be sure to always notify your agent when you make changes to your home and if you sustain any property damage following a natural disaster.
If you have any questions about protecting your home from severe storms or would like to make sure you have the proper homeowners insurance coverage, please contact our Protection Team at 609-693-3123.