Wendy’s Super Easy Super Bowl Guacamole
- 1 bag of ripe avocados (4) from
- 1 container of fresh salsa from (spiciness dependent on your taste)
- 1 – 3 large cloves or garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (I like multigrain)
- Peel and pit avocados.
- Mash the avocados in a non-metal bowl (if one or more of them seems a wee bit under ripe, chop that/those instead of mashing).
- Drain the fresh salsa well (I usually use the lid to squish it down and just pour the liquid into the sink) and add it to the mashed avocados.
- Add the press or chopped garlic and the cumin.
- Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
(adapted from Rachael Ray)- serves 8
- 2 pounds ground white meat chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s or Cholula)
- 3 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced
- Store-bought, good quality bleu cheese dressing for dipping
- 1 bag pre-cut celery sticks
- 1 bag pre-cut carrot sticks
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with the onion, garlic and cilantro or parsley, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape the chicken mixture into balls- should have 32 meatballs in total.
- Arrange the meatballs on a wire rack on a foil-covered sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked through and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, melt the butter in a large, flat-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- In the pan, toss the baked meatballs in the hot sauce to coat (you may do this in batches) and transfer to a serving platter.
- Place the bleu cheese dressing in a small serving bowl and garnish with chopped scallions.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks (I recommend red, white and blue for Pats’ colors) alongside the bleu cheese dressing, celery and carrot sticks.
Jalapeño Popper Cups
(Editor Melanie Graham's adaptation of this recipe found on Allrecipes.com)
- 1 pkg phyllo tart shells (12-14/package)
- 4 oz. cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican-blend cheese. (You can really use any shredded cheese, I've used Mozzarella before and it's fantastic)
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and arrange the phyllo dough cups on a baking sheet
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, shredded cheese, jalapeno peppers and hot sauce. Once it's blended, spoon the mixture into the individual tart cups.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
Medford Rum Punch
(from about.com Cocktails)
Medford used to be known for its rum. In fact, noted patriot (get it?!) Paul Revere is rumored to have stopped for a shot of “fortitude” in Medford during his famed midnight ride. Medford no longer produces this libation, so any full-bodied, dark rum will suffice.
- 2 ounces Medford rum (full-body, dark substitute such as Bacardi Black)
- 1 ounce Jamaican rum (medium-bodied brand, such as Appleton Estate)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (fresh, not from concentrate)
- 1 orange slice, cut in quarters
- Berries for garnish (I recommend a strawberry with a slit in the tip to nestle on the glass)
- Lime slice for garnish
- Place the rums, lemon juice, and orange pieces into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Pour everything (do not strain) directly into a short, old-fashioned style glass.
- Garnish with berries and a slice of lime and serve with a straw.
Make Your Own Giants “Scooper Bowl Sundaes”
(as suggested by my friend Daisy)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream
- 1 pint blueberry frozen yogurt or ice cream (I recommend Sweet Scoops, sold at )
- Various Giants-colored toppings for the health-conscious (blueberries and sliced strawberries, shredded coconut)
- Various Giants-colored toppings for the indulgers (Red Hots; blue and white M-n-M’s – available at ; blue and white sprinkles)
- Whipped cream
- Make sure to take ice cream/frozen yogurt out of freezer 15 minutes before serving so it is soft enough to easily scoop.
- Put toppings in wide-mouthed bowls or containers for easy access.
- Make sure you have enough scoops/spoons for everything.
- Enjoy devouring a GIANT sundae while watching the Patriots get devoured!