This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. In 1754, Samuel Worden operated a salt works on the Forked River with his sons.
2. John Holmes acquired lands on the Upper Mill Pond in 1759. The Holmes family is tracked to the early times in England—one of the earliest being knighted by William the Conqueror.
3. The Grist Mill was operated on the Upper Mill and sold to the Barnegat Pines in 1928 and then Lacey In 1941.
4. In 1876 a smithy, the workplace of a blacksmith, was located on the southwest corner of Lacey Road and Route 9. The store was considered important as the blacksmith made a wide range and variety of products.
5. Byron Eno organized the first telephone system, connecting the hotel with the railroad station, in the community in 1883.