This is a feature that looks at facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. James Wainwright, who was murdered by Elson Rockwell, was found in the Cedar Creek. His body had decayed so he was identified by his teeth, pierced ears and scarred nose.
2. Elson Rockwell was found guilty of second degree murder in Bamber and sentenced to 20 years in state prison in Trenton but a pardon came shortly after.
3. In 1790, a one-room school with benches was opened to provide children grades one through eight an education. The school was located on Frog Hollow Road, although no traces of it exist.
4. Another one-room school was built in 1858 in Roger Woods, Lanoka Harbor for grades one through eight and another in 1860 in Forked River for grades one through eight.
5. Bamber kids attended classes at the Rutherford home on Lacey Tract and then the second floor of Beam's Store until a one-room school was built in 1914.