This feature looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. The dock opposite of the Captain’s Inn is the houseboat, previously known as Dater Horner’s Houseboat. The restaurant was well known for its clam chowder soup throughout the county. George Chamberlain developed the recipe.
2. In the late 1800s Lacey Township was a resort with three hotels located on the Shore Road in Cedar Creek. A huge fire struck the town in 1896, taking down many homes, two of those hotels and cranberry bogs.
3. Lanoka Harbor has bee previously known as Cedar Creek, Williams, Williamsburg, Aumacktown and Lanoka.
4. Post offices used to be housed in private homes. Lanoka Harbor had a post office in 1819 in the home of William Aumack.
5. The name Lanoka was founded based on the oak trees of George Lane, a postmaster about a century later. Samuel Rogers added harbor in 1924.