This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. The classrooms in Lacey’s schoolhouses were constructed and used before electricity came to town. Each classroom had a wall of windows and stoves provided heat.
2. Although children walked to school, a century ago in Bamber, they started using a horse-drawn school bus.
3. The one room school was constructed in 1875 but eventually abandoned due to a declining population. Students then attended class in a room rented over Beame’s Store and Post Office.
4. A new one-room school was built in 1914 and used for 30 years. It was torn down in 1963 and the Bamber Lake Fire Company was built there four years later.
5. Lacey Township was selected as a site for a new state marina in the early 1930s. The narrow cedar-lined creek became a wide wateray.