This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. James Parker was memorialized for his 35 years of service as president of the Forked River Fire Company.
2. The Woodmansee homestead on the state game farm was one of the oldest homes in Forked River, built in 1784.
3. Taverns were the center of community life. People gathered there to hear the news, for political rallies, weddings, religious services, sales and to pick up mail. Because many were illiterate, the tavern keeper would read their mail and write replies.
4. The Houseboat used to be a landmark in town. It road the water at the town dock across from the Captain's Inn.
5. The local call to the Revolutionary War came from Toms River and was possibly posted in the Parker House. There were 171 men who answered the call. Of those who answered, they were divided into two commands -- one headed by Lt. John Woodmanssee and the other was headed by Ensign Daniel Stout attached to the command headed by Rev. John Price of Lanoka Harbor. There were 27 Lacey residents who answered the call.