This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. The Bamber post office was launched in 1873 and operated from Beame's Store. There was a classroom upstairs and a horse-drawn carriage was used as a school bus.
2. The Lanoka Harbor School was built in 1858 in Rogers' Woods. It was remodeled in 1914 and burned down in 1977.
3. The region was affected by four wars during the 19th century. Many of those veterans were buried in the Good Luck Cemetery, some who fought in the Revolutionary War.
4. The Lacey United Methodist Church was built in 1904 but the foundation was originally from a Baptist church, which was built in 1848. The property was sold to the Cedar Creek Presbyterians and then later to the Forked River Presbyterians in 1965.
The Forked River Presbyterians moved the church to a plot donated by James Jones, whom Jones Road is named after. The church was renovated and redecorated. It burned down before 2 p.m. on May 4, 1930, the same day as the rededication.
The forest fire destroyed nearly one-third of Forked River's buildings. The current Presbyterian Church was built just two years later.
5. In 1887, the original Methodist Church was completed. A Fellowship Hall was built in 1960 and in 1976, a small plane lost control, crashed into the west side of the hall and killed all five occupants of the plane.