This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. In the 1800’s, a stagecoach traveled from Forked River in the early morning hours to Long-A-Coming, or Berlin, in time for an evening meal. Then, after breakfast, it left for Cooper’s Ferry, or Camden. The coaches brought salesmen, vacationers, hunters, fishermen and passersby to Forked River.
2. The old stagecoach stop stood in the heart of Forked River. Over the years, it also served as a general store, a post office and a shop known as the PotPourri. At one time it was known as Starr’s General Store.
3. The old Forked River House dates from 1820. Noted guests were Bob Fitzsimmons, a heavyweight-boxing champion from 1892 to 1897 and Woodrow Wilson.
4. The Parker House was used as a silent movie theater, for sheriff sales, public sales, wedding parties and political gatherings. People used to gather to hear the news. At that time, there were few newspapers and most had less than 500 subscribers.
5. The Parker House was renamed The Greyhound Inn, a place for select clientele under the direction of Frank Briggs. Regular guests included Grover Cleveland and Lillian Russell.