This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. In 1850, the Brinley School of Languages was established in Cedar Creek.
2. William Hurry purchased 36.02 acres in the 1880s and named the tract "Bamber" after Dr. John Bamber of Essex County in England. Bamber was an anscestor of Hurry.
3. During that time, approximately 900 acres were set in peach trees, which eventually deteriorated because the soil wasn't suited for that vegetation.
4. In 1870, the owner of the Tuckerton Railroad conveyed a title for a four-mile right of way through Lacey. Men were hired for $1 to $2.50 a day to survey the land. Hand tools and horse drawn graders were used.
5. The Ferrago station opened in December 1871 and the community name was changed to Bamber.