This is a feature that looks at facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. In 1765 Island Beach State Park was known as Lord Stirlings Beach. In 1770 it was named Nine Mile Beach and in 1823, Twelve Mile Beach. A tract was sold to the state in 1953 and the state renamed it to Island Beach State Park.
2. Lacey's second murder done by a Bamber resident resulted in a name change of Bamber to Cedar Crest. The name didn't take so it's still Bamber.
3. Elson Rockwell was charged with the murder of friend James Wainwright of Toms River. Elson Rockwell was a candidate for sheriff and rumor was that he was intimate with Mrs. Wainwright. Mrs. Wainwright had left her husband James only to eventually return. Rockwell lost election in 1881 due to he rumors.
4. In 1880, Lacey's population was 814.