This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. Rail lines that were constructed by the New Jersey Southern Toms River and Waretown Railroad in 1870 divided the Mill Pond. Service began in 1871. The Central Railroad of New Jersey acquired the railroad in 1879.
2. The Central Railroad also ran the Jolly Tar Trail in 1927. The bus ran between Lakewood and Barnegat.
3. Bamber Lake used a different the Tuckerton Railroad, running from Whiting to Tuckerton and LBI. The trains stopped running in 1936. The Jersey Central rail service to Lacey ceased in the 1950s.
4. The first game farm in New Jersey was established in Forked River in 1912 on the Holmes Farm and Estate. Game Keepers from Scotland who also oversaw the care of the birds managed the farm. Mostly pheasants were raised at the Game Farm and released into the wild for sportsmen.
5. A section of the Game Farm property was appropriated as a center for the rehabilitation of teenage boys in the 1960s.