This is a feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Lacey Township People and Progress,” a book written by Dr. Ralph K. Turp and stored at the library.
1. Bamber Lake was formerly known as Cedar Crest and Ferrago. Lanoka Harbor was known as Williamsburg, after the Williams family, and Aumacktown, after the Aumack family.
2. The East New Jersey Proprietors, who lived in England or Scotland, originally owned Lacey.
3. The earliest Lacey settlers built Indian-styled homes with poles securely grounded in a circle and tied together, shrouded in bark.
4. The East New Jersey Proprietors granted Thomas Williams 60 acres in 1677, John Williams received land in 1681 and Edward Williams in 1687. The latter had the land confiscated because he was a loyalist.
5. Rattlesnakes largely populated Lacey Township. As of 1978, several dens still existed. The Pine Snake and Black Snake can still be found.