This is a new feature that looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. Farmers in Lacey produced fruit and vegetable crops. The Lacey Station, in Bamber, was known for its grapes and wines, produced by families of French immigrants. Those living in Bamber also had peach orchards. Forked River farmers grew peaches and pears as well as grapes. Lanoka Harbor farmers produced corn, tomatoes and had vineyards. One vineyard known as the Parker and Matthews Vineyard was located on Lacey Road near the Manchester Avenue intersection.
2. Lacey hunters trapped muskrats, mink and foxes. The state paid $3 for each pelt of fox.
3. Along the ponds and in residents back yards were insulated ice houses. The houses were used to preserve blocks of ice that had been cut and stored in the winter.
4. The Forked River House began as a private home in the nineteenth century. It was later attached to a tavern and named the Blodgett House by owner Edward M. Lonan, who eventually became the County Superintendent of Schools. The house was renamed the Forked River House at the turn of the century. In 1992, the Forked River House caught fire.
5. The Carman House stood near the present day Captain’s Inn. Once purchased by the Eno family, it was opened as the Riverside Hotel in 1889. A fire consumed the main structure in 1952. The casino, located west of the hotel, survived and although altered, is now the Captain’s Inn.