This feature looks at five facts of Lacey’s history provided by “Forging Ahead: The 125th Anniversary of Lacey Township,” a book developed by the local historical society and stored at the library.
1. In 1914 Frank Briggs began showing feature films in a silent movie house located on the southeast corner of Station Drive and Parker Avenue. The Playhouse Theater also hosted vaudeville and other live entertainment. It closed in 1928 and was torn down in the late 1940s.
2. Charles A. Smith, a noteworthy philanthropist and owner of the former Hollywood Farm located east of Jones Road, included in his will funds that were donated to local churches as well as $15,000 to the township for the construction of a community hall. was constructed in 1924. Since then, it has been enlarged and remodeled.
3. Emily Dye and Benjamin Burd Worden owned the , currently located on Route 9, for more than half a century. The structure was moved from its original location where the former Covered Bridge Car Wash used to operate. Over the years, it has served as offices for the Chamber of Commerce, Veterans’ Office and the Recreation Department.
4. The site where the Worden House currently sits used to be occupied by a building, which in 1962 served as municipal offices and police headquarters.
5. Township meetings used to be held in the upstairs room of the old firehouse located on Station Drive.